A downside of living in a tropical paradise is the constant glaring UV rays of the sun. No two people burn the same way, still over exposure to the sun causes premature aging and changes in the DNA that in turn causes cancer, known as Melanoma. In mild forms, they can be easily treated at home but for serious cases like blisters, swelling and dizziness a visit to the doctor is recommended.
Home Remedies to Relieve Sunburn
- A very mild and soothing treatment for sunburns is baby wipes since they balance the PH levels. Don’t over use them in any case as that may reduce the natural oils that assist the healing process.
- The fats and proteins contained in milk are ideal for skin that has started to peel after sunburn. During this time hydrating the skin is important which will be done by milk. If you are averse to the smell of milk you can use milk based products as a substitute.
- Tea, our special favorite is fantastic to treat sunburn. You have to brew a pot of green or black tea and allow it to cool for hours. Once the tea has cooled you can soak a soft towel in it and use as a compress on the affected areas.
- The soft soothing gel in the Aloe-Vera plant will soothe the irritated skin. If you don’t have access to a plant you can use aloe ointments, but make sure that they don’t contain lanolin as they can irritate your skin and worsen the condition.
- The cooling compounds in cucumber will soothe irritated and burned skin. You have to simply cut some slices and gently rub on the affected areas.
- The probiotics in plain yogurt works wonders that helps to restore the natural barrier of the skin. You have to apply the cold yogurt on the affected area and sit it for 10 minutes. You can then gently dab it off with a cold cloth.
- Mayonnaise is known for its cooling effects. The soothing oil in it is ideal for instant relief. You have to directly apply onto the burn but keep in mind that it is not a remedy for sunburn.
These quick and easy remedies are readily available and what more they actually work. Having said that the best way to protect yourself is by using a sun lotion SPF 15 or higher and there is no reason to not enjoy the sun.